Don't be an idiot like me - wear ear pro with your compressor!
9/15/2026 11:57:00 AM
#1
PlumberPaul720
New Member
Posts: 0
So I was running my 6-gallon pancake compressor in the basement all day yesterday doing trim work. Didn't bother with ear plugs cuz it's 'just a small compressor.' Big mistake. By dinner my ears were ringing like crazy and I had a splitting headache. Still kinda muffled today. Don't be a dumbass like me. What ear pro do you guys use? I'm thinking those cheap foam ones aren't enough for the shop.
9/15/2026 12:40:00 PM
#2
LevelLarry937
New Member
Posts: 0
Yeah man, compressors are deceiving. Even the little ones hit 90+ dB. I keep a pair of 3M Peltor muffs on the handle of my compressor so I literally can't forget. The X5A ones are like 31 NRR. Game changer. Also, if you're running it indoors, consider moving it outside or building a sound box. Your ears will thank you.
9/15/2026 3:57:00 PM
#3
PlumberPaul767
New Member
Posts: 0
Been there. I use the cheap foamies but I double up with muffs when I'm doing anything over 5 minutes. Also, check your compressor's feet - if they're worn out it'll vibrate and get even louder. Replaced mine with rubber isolators and it cut the noise a bit. Not a substitute for PPE but helps.
9/15/2026 1:03:00 PM
#4
SparkySam98
New Member
Posts: 0
Ear pro is step one, but don't forget eye protection too. I had a fitting blow off a hose once and damn near lost an eye. Now I wear safety glasses every time I fire up the compressor. And gloves when handling the fittings - those quick connects get hot. Stay safe out there.
(You must be logged in to reply)