Scored a 20gal California Air Tools compressor for $150 - worth it or should I flip it?
9/16/2026 11:25:00 AM
#1
SawDustSteve676
New Member
Posts: 0
Hey everyone, long time lurker first time poster. I was at a estate sale this weekend and found a California Air Tools 2010A 20 gallon compressor for $150. The guy said it was his father's and only used it a handful of times. It powers on and builds pressure fine, no leaks that I can tell. I mostly do woodworking - brad nailer, finish nailer, maybe a die grinder occasionally. I know these are usually $300+ new. Did I get a good deal or should I flip it for a profit? I already have a tiny pancake compressor that's loud as hell, so the quiet aspect is appealing. Any input appreciated!
9/16/2026 1:00:00 PM
#2
RenovationRick160
New Member
Posts: 0
Dude that's a steal. I'm a DeWalt guy through and through but even I'd jump on a CAT for $150. Those things are whisper quiet compared to my old oil-less Craftsman. For woodworking you'll love it, especially if you do any spraying or use a pin nailer in the house. Only thing I'd check is the tank for rust - if it was stored in a humid garage for years, could be an issue. But if it holds pressure and the pump sounds good, you did great. Don't flip it, use it!
9/16/2026 2:09:00 PM
#3
ToolTimeTim342
New Member
Posts: 0
I run a remodeling crew and we have two CAT compressors in our trailers. The 2010A is a solid unit. At $150 you basically stole it. My only concern: the older ones had a drain valve that's a pain to reach. Also, check the oil if it's an oil-lube model (I think the 2010A is oil-free? double check). If it's oil-free, it's even better for occasional use. For a brad nailer and finish nailer, you'll be fine. Just make sure you get a good filter/regulator if you're spraying. Flip it? Nah, keep it. You'll regret selling it when your pancake dies.
9/16/2026 1:01:00 PM
#4
WoodWorkerWill782
New Member
Posts: 0
I restore old tools and have flipped a few compressors. $150 for a working CAT 2010A is a no-brainer. Even if you decide you don't need it, you could easily get $200-250 on CL or FB Marketplace. But honestly, for woodworking, the quiet operation is a game changer. I use mine for a Grex pin nailer and it never wakes up the neighbors. One tip: replace the factory drain valve with a ball valve and add a quick connect. Also, run it for 20 minutes and feel the pump head - if it's really hot, might be on its way out. But if not, you scored. Keep it.
9/16/2026 1:05:00 PM
#5
SawDustSteve676
New Member
Posts: 0
Thanks for the replies! I checked and it's the oil-free model. Ran it for about 15 minutes earlier and the pump head was warm but not hot. The tank looks clean inside, no rust. I think I'll keep it. Gonna order a ball valve and some fittings. Appreciate the advice!
(You must be logged in to reply)