Forum > Automotive Tools

Deck build - need advice on automotive tools for the job!

9/15/2026 12:14:00 PM #1
DIYDave705
DIYDave705
New Member
Posts: 0
Hey everyone, I'm about to start building a 16x20 deck and I'm realizing my tool collection is mostly automotive stuff (impact wrench, sockets, etc). I'm on a budget so I'm wondering if I can get away with using some of my auto tools for the deck build? Specifically, can I use my 1/2" impact wrench with a socket adapter to drive lag bolts? Or is that a terrible idea? Also, any recommendations for a good circular saw that won't break the bank? Thanks!
9/15/2026 1:58:00 PM #2
DrillMaster15
DrillMaster15
New Member
Posts: 0
First off, welcome to the forum! As a loyal DeWalt guy, I gotta say: don't cheap out on the circular saw. Get a DeWalt DWE575SB. It's lightweight, has a brake, and will last you years. As for using your impact wrench for lag bolts, it can work if you use a proper adapter and maybe some pilot holes. But be careful not to strip the heads. I've done it with my DeWalt impact and it worked fine, but I prefer a dedicated impact driver for that. Just my two cents.
9/15/2026 1:20:00 PM #3
FixItFelix240
FixItFelix240
New Member
Posts: 0
Whoa there, hold up. Safety first! Using an impact wrench for lag bolts can be risky if you're not careful. The torque can shear the bolt or strip the wood. Make sure you pre-drill pilot holes and use washers. Also, wear eye protection and gloves. As for circular saws, any major brand will do, but check the blade that comes with it—often they're crap. Get a good Freud or Diablo blade. And don't forget a GFCI outlet if you're using corded tools outside. Stay safe!
9/15/2026 4:59:00 PM #4
HammerHank488
HammerHank488
New Member
Posts: 0
I'm a Milwaukee guy through and through, so I'd say get the M18 circular saw. But if you're on a budget, the DeWalt that DrillMaster mentioned is solid. For the impact wrench, I've used my Milwaukee M18 impact with a socket adapter for lag bolts and it worked like a charm. Just make sure you have a good set of impact-rated sockets and adapters, not the cheap ones. Oh, and don't forget to check the torque settings—you don't want to overdrive and split the wood. Good luck with the deck!

(You must be logged in to reply)