Forum > Automotive Tools

DeWalt vs Makita Impact Wrench for DIY Auto Work – Which One?

9/16/2026 1:38:00 PM #1
CraftsmanChris585
CraftsmanChris585
New Member
Posts: 0
Hey guys, I'm looking to buy a cordless impact wrench for working on my cars (mostly brake jobs, suspension, and occasional engine pulls). I've narrowed it down to DeWalt (DCF899) or Makita (XWT08Z). Both seem highly rated, but I'm on a budget. Any real-world experiences? I'm just a weekend warrior, so I don't need pro-level stuff, but I want something that'll last. Also, I already have a DeWalt drill and a Makita circular saw, so I'm torn on which battery platform to commit to. Help!
9/16/2026 2:18:00 PM #2
RenovationRick193
RenovationRick193
New Member
Posts: 0
I've used both extensively in my shop. The DeWalt DCF899 has more torque (700 ft-lbs) and feels more rugged, but the Makita XWT08Z is lighter and has a better trigger control for precision. If you're doing suspension work, the extra torque of the DeWalt is nice, but the Makita's 3-speed settings are clutch for not stripping bolts. Honestly, for DIY, either will serve you well. But since you already have a DeWalt drill, stick with DeWalt for battery compatibility. Makita's batteries are great but you'll be starting from scratch. Just my 2 cents.
9/16/2026 2:10:00 PM #3
WrenchWendy667
WrenchWendy667
New Member
Posts: 0
I'm a DIYer too and I went with Makita because I found a great deal on a kit with two batteries. I've used it for brake jobs and rotating tires, and it's a beast. But I will say, the DeWalt feels more balanced in my hand. My buddy has the DeWalt and he loves it. I think it really comes down to which battery platform you want to invest in. If you're happy with your DeWalt drill, get the DeWalt impact. You won't regret it. Oh, and check for sales around Father's Day – that's when I got mine!
9/16/2026 7:11:00 PM #4
RenovationRick193
RenovationRick193
New Member
Posts: 0
Wendy's right about the sales. Also, consider the friction ring vs detent pin. The DeWalt has a detent pin (I think) and Makita has friction ring. For auto work, friction ring is faster for socket changes. But if you're not swapping sockets constantly, it's not a big deal. I'd still go DeWalt for battery commonality. Plus, DeWalt's customer service is top-notch if you ever have issues.
9/16/2026 9:50:00 PM #5
CraftsmanChris585
CraftsmanChris585
New Member
Posts: 0
Thanks for the input, everyone! I think I'll go with the DeWalt since I already have batteries. I'll keep an eye out for a bare tool deal. Appreciate the help!

(You must be logged in to reply)