Don't skip the goggles when working on your car!
9/16/2026 2:38:00 PM
#1
DIYDave219
New Member
Posts: 0
Hey everyone, just wanted to share a quick safety tip. I was doing a brake job on my truck last weekend and a rust flake flew right into my eye. Lucky I had my safety glasses on, but it got me thinking—how many of you actually wear PPE when working on cars? I see a lot of guys on YouTube doing engine swaps in flip-flops and no glasses. Not judging, but man, one wrong move and you're in the ER. What's your go-to PPE for automotive work? I usually just do safety glasses and nitrile gloves, but I'm curious if I should step up to a full face shield for grinding.
9/16/2026 2:56:00 PM
#2
FixItFelix357
New Member
Posts: 0
Dave, you're spot on. I've been turning wrenches for 40+ years and I've seen too many close calls. Back in the day, we didn't have all these fancy safety glasses—just common sense (which wasn't always common). I always wear safety glasses now, and for anything under the car, I add a dust mask. Those brake dust particles are nasty. Also, don't forget ear protection when using an impact wrench or grinder. Trust me, tinnitus is no fun. As for face shield, if you're grinding or cutting, definitely use one. It's cheap insurance.
9/16/2026 4:14:00 PM
#3
PlumberPaul905
New Member
Posts: 0
I collect tools, so I've got just about every type of PPE you can imagine. But I'll be honest, when I'm just tinkering in the garage, I sometimes get lazy. That said, after reading Dave's post, I'm gonna be more diligent. I've got a pair of those anti-fog safety glasses that are actually comfortable, so no excuse. One thing I swear by: mechanic's gloves. Not the cheap latex ones, but the ones with grip and knuckle protection. Saved my knuckles more than once. Also, if you're working with chemicals, make sure your gloves are rated for them. Nitrile isn't good for everything.
9/16/2026 6:44:00 PM
#4
DIYDave219
New Member
Posts: 0
Thanks for the replies, guys. Felix, I hear you on the tinnitus—I've already got a slight ring from years of power tools. I'll definitely pick up some ear muffs. Paul, good point about glove ratings. I usually just grab whatever's in the box, but I'll check the chemical resistance chart next time. Anyone else have a close call that made them change their habits?
9/16/2026 10:58:00 PM
#5
FixItFelix357
New Member
Posts: 0
One more thing: make sure your safety glasses are Z87.1 rated. I see guys buying cheap ones from the dollar store that won't stop a flying bolt. Also, if you wear prescription glasses, get safety glasses that fit over them or get prescription safety glasses. I learned that the hard way when a metal shaving bounced off my regular glasses and cut my cheek. Could've been my eye. Stay safe out there!
(You must be logged in to reply)