Forum > Chainsaws

Found a Stihl MS 271 for $200 on FB Marketplace - too good to be true?

9/13/2026 3:22:00 PM #1
MakitaMike221
MakitaMike221
New Member
Posts: 0
Hey everyone, I was browsing FB Marketplace and came across a Stihl MS 271 Farm Boss for $200. The guy says it runs great and comes with a 20" bar and chain. I'm a weekend warrior, just need something for storm cleanup and occasional firewood. Is this a good deal or should I be suspicious? He said he's selling because he upgraded to a bigger saw. I'm tempted but don't wanna get burned. Any advice?
9/13/2026 5:24:00 PM #2
SparkySam225
SparkySam225
New Member
Posts: 0
Dude, that's a screaming deal if it's legit. I'm an apprentice and even I know Stihl MS 271s go for like $400+ new. But $200 seems low... I'd check the compression and make sure it's not a clone. There are fake Stihls out there. Ask for a video of it running and cutting. If he hesitates, walk away. Also check the serial number with Stihl. Just my 2 cents.
9/13/2026 6:40:00 PM #3
BuildItBob998
BuildItBob998
New Member
Posts: 0
I've been a contractor for 20 years and I've bought plenty of used saws. $200 for a running MS 271 is a good deal, but not unheard of. Guys upgrade or just need cash. First thing: pull the muffler and look at the piston. If it's scored, run. Also, check the bar for wear and the chain for stretch. Make sure it starts from cold in 3-4 pulls. If it does, and compression feels good, I'd snag it. But be prepared to put another $50-100 into it for a new chain and maybe a tune-up. Still cheaper than new.
9/13/2026 7:16:00 PM #4
GearHeadGary338
GearHeadGary338
New Member
Posts: 0
Bob's right on the money. I'd add: check the air filter and spark plug. If they're nasty, it might have been run hard. Also, ask him what mix he used. If he says 50:1, fine. If he says he used straight gas, walk away. And for the love of god, don't buy it without hearing it run. I've seen too many 'great deals' turn into paperweights. If it checks out, $200 is a steal. I paid $350 for my MS 271 used and it's been solid for 5 years. Good luck!

(You must be logged in to reply)