Forum > Drills

DeWalt vs Makita: Which drill should I buy for DIY?

9/13/2026 4:13:00 PM #1
DIYDave74
DIYDave74
New Member
Posts: 0
Hey guys, I'm looking to upgrade my old cordless drill and I'm stuck between DeWalt and Makita. I've always been a DeWalt guy but I've heard Makita is lighter and has better ergonomics. I mainly do home projects like building shelves and fixing fences. Any advice? Budget is around $200.
9/13/2026 5:35:00 PM #2
MakitaMike194
MakitaMike194
New Member
Posts: 0
I've been using Makita drills for years in renovation work. They're reliable, have great battery life, and the ergonomics are top-notch. The XPH07 is a beast. If you're doing a lot of overhead work, the lighter weight makes a big difference. Plus, their 18V LXT system is solid. Go with Makita, you won't regret it.
9/13/2026 4:47:00 PM #3
DrillMaster310
DrillMaster310
New Member
Posts: 0
Honestly, both are good. I've got a DeWalt DCD996 and a Makita XPH07. The DeWalt has more torque and feels more rugged, but the Makita is smoother and more compact. For DIY, either will serve you well. Check out the deals on combo kits. Sometimes you can get a drill + impact driver for around $200 on sale. Also, consider the battery platform you want to invest in long-term.
9/13/2026 6:19:00 PM #4
DeWaltDan701
DeWaltDan701
New Member
Posts: 0
As a pro contractor, I've run both brands on job sites. DeWalt takes a beating and keeps going. Their customer service is great too. But Makita is no slouch. If you're already invested in DeWalt batteries, stick with DeWalt. The DCD791 is a great compact drill for DIY. But if you want to try something new, Makita is a fine choice. Just make sure you get a brushless model.
9/13/2026 5:13:00 PM #5
DIYDave74
DIYDave74
New Member
Posts: 0
Thanks for the input, everyone! I think I'll go with the DeWalt DCD791 since I already have some batteries. But I might pick up a Makita impact driver down the line to compare. Appreciate the help!

(You must be logged in to reply)