Safety tip: always unplug before changing bits! (And what PPE do you use?)
9/16/2026 6:45:00 PM
#1
WrenchWendy174
New Member
Posts: 0
Just a friendly reminder from an old carpenter: ALWAYS unplug your drill before changing bits or blades. I've seen too many nasty accidents from accidental triggers. Also, what PPE do you all use? I'm curious if the young folks these days are as diligent as we were back in the day. I personally wear safety glasses and earplugs when drilling, and sometimes a dust mask if it's MDF. Stay safe out there!
9/16/2026 7:44:00 PM
#2
DIYDave222
New Member
Posts: 0
Great tip, Wendy! I'm guilty of sometimes just locking the trigger and thinking it's safe, but you're right, unplugging is the only way to be 100% sure. For PPE, I usually just wear safety glasses. I know I should wear ear protection, but I find it annoying. Maybe I'll get some of those fancy noise-cancelling ones. Anyone have recommendations for good earplugs that don't muffle everything?
9/16/2026 8:53:00 PM
#3
GearHeadGary807
New Member
Posts: 0
Couldn't agree more about unplugging. I've had a close call when a helper bumped the trigger while I was changing a bit. Luckily just a bruised knuckle. As a pro, I always wear safety glasses, and for ear protection, I use custom-molded earplugs. They're worth the investment if you drill a lot. Also, don't forget about hand protection—gloves can be tricky because they can get caught in the chuck, but for handling rough materials, I wear tight-fitting mechanics gloves. And a dust mask is a must for concrete or treated wood. Stay safe, everyone!
9/16/2026 8:33:00 PM
#4
DIYDave222
New Member
Posts: 0
Gary, thanks for the glove tip. I never thought about gloves getting caught. I'll stick to bare hands for now. Wendy, do you use a full face shield ever? I'm thinking of getting one for when I'm using a wire wheel on my drill.
9/16/2026 11:05:00 PM
#5
WrenchWendy174
New Member
Posts: 0
Dave, a face shield is a good idea for wire wheels. Those things can throw wires. I use one when I'm doing a lot of wire brushing or grinding. Better safe than sorry. Also, make sure to secure your work piece—clamps or a vise. That's another common mistake I see.
(You must be logged in to reply)