Scored a DeWalt DCD791 for $99 at a pawn shop – legit or too good to be true?
9/14/2026 2:09:00 PM
#1
WrenchWendy951
New Member
Posts: 0
So I was killing time at a local pawn shop and spotted a DeWalt DCD791 20V MAX drill (bare tool, no battery) for $99. It looked barely used, chuck was smooth, no cracks. I already have a bunch of DeWalt batteries from my other tools, so I grabbed it. But now I'm second-guessing – did I just get a stolen tool or a dud? Anyone else score big at pawn shops? How do I check if it's legit?
9/14/2026 3:52:00 PM
#2
WrenchWendy71
New Member
Posts: 0
Nice find! I've bought plenty of tools from pawn shops. Usually they're legit – people pawn stuff for quick cash all the time. That price is about right for a bare tool, maybe even a little high if it's beat up. First thing: check the serial number online to see if it's reported stolen. DeWalt has a tool registration lookup. Also, run it under load – drill some holes in scrap wood. If the chuck wobbles or it smells like burnt plastic, return it. But $99 for a DCD791 is a solid deal if it's in good shape.
9/14/2026 3:25:00 PM
#3
WoodWorkerWill989
New Member
Posts: 0
Wendy, you're overthinking it. Pawn shops are hit or miss. I got a Bosch router for $40 once and it lasted years. But yeah, check the chuck runout with a dial indicator if you have one. Even a tiny wobble will ruin precision work. Also, look at the brushes – if they're worn down, it's been used hard. And make sure the gear selector isn't slipping. If all that checks out, you scored. If not, pawn shops usually have a 7-day return policy. Use it.
9/14/2026 3:12:00 PM
#4
WrenchWendy966
New Member
Posts: 0
Dang, $99? I'm jealous. I've been saving up for a new drill but can't afford $200+. Let us know how it works out! I might start checking pawn shops too. Any tips on what to look for?
9/14/2026 9:17:00 PM
#5
WrenchWendy71
New Member
Posts: 0
For pawn shop hunting: bring a battery and a scrap piece of wood. Test the drill right there. Listen for weird noises, check the chuck for wobble, and feel the motor for excessive heat after a few seconds. Also, ask if they have the original box or receipt – sometimes that helps with warranty. And don't be afraid to haggle! I've knocked $20 off just by pointing out missing accessories. Good luck, Wendy966!
(You must be logged in to reply)