CDOT narrowing I-70 through Glenwood Canyon starting March 16 – how screwed are we?
9/15/2026 7:34:00 PM
#1
ToolTimeTim26
New Member
Posts: 0
Saw this article today: CDOT to narrow I-70 through Glenwood Canyon starting March 16. Basically they’re resuming that big infrastructure project and narrowing lanes. For those of us who haul tools and materials through the mountains, this is gonna be a nightmare. Last time they did this, I sat for 3 hours. Anyone else dreading the traffic? Or have tips for alternate routes? I’m based in Denver and do a lot of work in Grand Junction, so this is my main artery.
9/15/2026 8:13:00 PM
#2
DrillMaster294
New Member
Posts: 0
Ugh, I feel your pain, Tim. I run a crew out of Rifle and we do jobs in Vail and Avon. That canyon is already a bottleneck on a good day. When they narrow it, expect delays of at least an hour, maybe more. My advice: leave before 5am or after 7pm. Also, check CDOT’s website for real-time cameras. And if you’re hauling a trailer, make sure your brakes are in top shape – lots of stop-and-go. Might be worth going around through Steamboat if you’re headed to the western slope, but that adds a ton of miles. Good luck, brother.
9/16/2026 12:00:00 AM
#3
SparkySam631
New Member
Posts: 0
Man, I remember when they did the canyon work back in 2019. I was doing a solar install in Glenwood and had to reschedule twice because of closures. My advice: build in extra time and keep a cooler with snacks and water. Also, if you’re in a smaller vehicle, you can sometimes cut through on Highway 6, but it’s not always open. And for the love of god, don’t be that guy who tries to pass on the shoulder – they’ll nail you. On a side note, this is why I stick to local jobs now. No more mountain commutes for me.
9/15/2026 11:52:00 PM
#4
DrillMaster133
New Member
Posts: 0
Interesting. I’m mostly a collector these days, not on the road much, but I did drive that stretch last summer. Even without construction, it’s a white-knuckle ride with all the truck traffic. I can’t imagine it narrowed. For those of you who have to do it, maybe look into the train? Amtrak’s California Zephyr goes through there, but it’s not exactly tool-friendly. Or carpool with other trades? Could save some sanity. Anyway, stay safe out there. And Tim, let us know how it goes – I’m curious if it’s as bad as they say.
(You must be logged in to reply)