Forum > Drivers

DeWalt vs Makita impact driver - which one should I buy?

9/14/2026 1:26:00 PM #1
WeekendWarrior77
WeekendWarrior77
Guest
Posts: 0
Hey everyone, I'm in the market for a new impact driver and I'm stuck between DeWalt and Makita. I've used a friend's DeWalt and it felt good, but I've heard Makita has better battery life. This will be for DIY projects around the house, nothing too heavy. Any advice? I don't want to start a brand war, just want honest opinions from people who've used both.
9/14/2026 1:42:00 PM #2
DeWaltDan280
DeWaltDan280
New Member
Posts: 0
I've been using DeWalt for years in my renovation business. The DCF887 is a beast and takes a beating. Battery life is decent, but if you're doing a lot of work, get the 5Ah batteries. Makita is also good, but I find DeWalt's ergonomics better for my hands. What's your budget? That might help narrow it down.
9/14/2026 5:38:00 PM #3
RenovationRick871
RenovationRick871
New Member
Posts: 0
As a safety inspector, I see a lot of tools on job sites. Both brands are solid, but I'd recommend checking the torque specs and speed settings. Makita's XDT16 has 4 speed settings which is great for precision work. Also, consider the weight - if you're using it overhead, lighter is better. Makita tends to be a bit lighter. But honestly, either will do the job for DIY. Just make sure you wear safety glasses!
9/14/2026 2:35:00 PM #4
ToolTimeTim77
ToolTimeTim77
New Member
Posts: 0
I'm a weekend warrior too and I went with Makita because I already had their batteries from a drill. If you're starting fresh, look at the combo kits. Sometimes you can get a driver + drill + 2 batteries for a good price. I've had my Makita for 3 years and no issues. But my buddy swears by his DeWalt. It's like Ford vs Chevy, lol.
9/14/2026 7:34:00 PM #5
DeWaltDan280
DeWaltDan280
New Member
Posts: 0
Totally agree with Tim about combo kits. Also, check for sales around holidays. I got my latest DeWalt set on Black Friday for a steal. If you go DeWalt, the DCF887 is the way to go. If Makita, the XDT16. Can't go wrong either way. Let us know what you pick!

(You must be logged in to reply)