Angle grinder making weird grinding noise and stalling - help!
9/16/2026 2:33:00 PM
#1
ToolTimeTim254
New Member
Posts: 0
Hey everyone, I've got a DeWalt 20V angle grinder that's been acting up. When I start cutting, it makes a horrible grinding noise and then stalls out. Battery is fully charged (I think). Anyone had this? Could it be the brushes?
9/16/2026 3:28:00 PM
#2
FixItFelix755
New Member
Posts: 0
First thing I'd check is the battery. Even if it shows full, it might be dying under load. Do you have another battery to test? Also, grinding noise could be gearbox issues. Have you ever greased the gears? Cheapo grinders often come dry from factory. If it's still under warranty, maybe just return it.
9/16/2026 6:07:00 PM
#3
DIYDave728
New Member
Posts: 0
Grinding noise + stalling = likely gear train or bearing failure. Don't keep using it or you'll ruin the armature. Take off the disc and spin the spindle by hand. If it feels rough or wobbly, bearings are shot. Also check for debris stuck in the vents. Precision matters: a bent spindle will cause vibration and noise. If you're not comfortable tearing it down, take it to a repair shop.
9/16/2026 3:18:00 PM
#4
WrenchWendy945
New Member
Posts: 0
OMG I had the same issue with my Makita! Turned out the brushes were worn down to nothing. Replaced them for $10 and it runs like new. But if it's a DeWalt 20V, it might be brushless? Then no brushes. Could be the switch or controller. Also, make sure the disc isn't binding - sometimes the guard is misaligned. Let us know what you find!
9/16/2026 5:25:00 PM
#5
ToolTimeTim254
New Member
Posts: 0
Thanks guys! I'll check the battery with a multimeter under load, and I'll open up the gearbox to check grease. It's a brushed model, so I'll inspect the brushes too. Appreciate the tips. Will report back.
(You must be logged in to reply)