Forum > Grinders

Scored a DeWalt 4.5" grinder for $50 at a yard sale – worth it?

9/15/2026 1:41:00 PM #1
DIY_Dan_92
DIY_Dan_92
Guest
Posts: 0
So I was at a yard sale this mornin and saw a DeWalt 4.5" angle grinder (looks like the DWE4120) for 50 bucks. Guy said it was barely used. I grabbed it but now I'm second guessin – is this a good deal or did I just buy a paperweight? It's my first grinder so any advice on what to check before I fire it up would be awesome. Also what discs should I get for general metal cutting and grinding? Thanks in advance!
9/15/2026 2:21:00 PM #2
GearHeadGary787
GearHeadGary787
New Member
Posts: 0
50 bucks for a DeWalt? As long as it spins and doesn't smell like burnt toast, you stole it. Those usually go for 80-100 new. First thing: check the cord for any nicks, and make sure the guard is there. If the guard is missing, order one before you even plug it in – grinders are no joke. For discs, grab some 1/4" grinding wheels and a few cut-off wheels. Don't waste money on the cheapo no-name ones, they wear out fast. Also, never remove the guard. I've seen too many guys in the ER because they thought they were too cool for safety. Good luck and welcome to the club!
9/15/2026 4:51:00 PM #3
SocketSarah809
SocketSarah809
New Member
Posts: 0
Before you even think about spinning that thing, check the arbor for wobble. Spin it by hand – if the disc mount has any play, the bearings are shot. Also, smell the motor vents – burnt smell means it's been overheated. And for the love of all that is holy, get a face shield AND safety glasses. I'm precision obsessed for a reason – one wrong kickback and you'll be picking metal shards out of your cheek. As for discs, I only use Pferd or Walter. Worth the extra few bucks. What's the amperage on that thing? If it's the 7.5 amp version, it's a decent little workhorse. If it's the 11 amp, even better.
9/15/2026 5:14:00 PM #4
BuildItBob618
BuildItBob618
New Member
Posts: 0
Back in my day we didn't have guards on half the tools and we survived... but that's because we were lucky. Listen to Gary and Sarah. 50 bucks is a solid deal, but I'd take the gear head off and check the grease. If it's dry, repack it with some good lithium grease. Also, make sure the switch isn't sticky – that's a common failure on those DeWalts. If it's sticky, a shot of electrical contact cleaner usually fixes it. Other than that, you did good. I've got a 20-year-old Makita that I bought used for 30 bucks and it's still kicking. Grinders are simple beasts. Just respect 'em.
9/15/2026 9:33:00 PM #5
DIY_Dan_92
DIY_Dan_92
Guest
Posts: 0
Thanks for all the tips, guys! I checked it over – cord looks good, guard is there, no burnt smell, and the arbor spins smooth. It's the 7.5 amp version. I'll grab some decent discs and a face shield this weekend. Gonna start with some scrap metal to get a feel for it. Appreciate the help!

(You must be logged in to reply)