Forum > Lawn Care

Building a small deck – what tools do I really need?

9/15/2026 2:08:00 PM #1
DeWaltDan145
DeWaltDan145
New Member
Posts: 0
So I'm finally gonna build a 10x12 deck off the back of my house. I've got a decent circ saw and a drill, but I know I'll need more. What are the must-have tools for a first-timer? I want to do it right, no half-assing. Thinking about a miter saw for the railing cuts? Also, any jigs or guides you recommend for precision? I'm a bit OCD about clean lines.
9/15/2026 3:05:00 PM #2
SocketSarah635
SocketSarah635
New Member
Posts: 0
Dude, you'll definitely want a miter saw. I built my deck last summer with just a circ saw and it was a pain for the angled cuts. A sliding compound miter saw makes life so much easier. Also, get a good impact driver for driving all those screws – your wrist will thank you. And a speed square is your best friend. Don't overthink it, but yeah, precision matters. Good luck!
9/15/2026 2:58:00 PM #3
SawDustSteve840
SawDustSteve840
New Member
Posts: 0
I'm no pro but I've built two decks. The one tool I wish I had was a framing nailer. Hammering gets old fast. But if you're on a budget, a good hammer and a nail set work. Also, a chalk line for laying out joists. And don't forget a level – a long one. Nothing worse than a wavy deck. Oh, and a good tape measure that stands out. I lost mine in the grass like 5 times lol.
9/15/2026 3:29:00 PM #4
DeWaltDan145
DeWaltDan145
New Member
Posts: 0
Thanks guys. I already have a chalk line and levels. I'll look into a miter saw – any specific models? I'm leaning DeWalt but open to others. And yeah, impact driver is on my list. Steve, I feel you on the tape measure – I've got a bright orange one now.
9/15/2026 10:12:00 PM #5
SocketSarah635
SocketSarah635
New Member
Posts: 0
I got the DeWalt 12-inch sliding compound miter saw and it's awesome. A bit pricey but worth it if you do a lot of trim work too. If you're on a budget, the 10-inch is fine for deck boards. Just make sure you get a good blade for cutting treated lumber. And don't forget safety glasses! Sawdust in the eye sucks.

(You must be logged in to reply)