DeWalt vs Makita 20V String Trimmer: Which one should I buy?
9/16/2026 1:12:00 PM
#1
WoodWorkerWill848
New Member
Posts: 0
Hey everyone, I'm in the market for a new string trimmer and I've narrowed it down to either the DeWalt 20V MAX or the Makita 18V LXT. I already have some batteries for both platforms (a couple of each from other tools), so I'm not starting from scratch. I've got about a quarter acre of lawn with some thick weeds along the fence. Which one would you go with and why? I've heard mixed things about both. Thanks!
9/16/2026 2:56:00 PM
#2
DrillMaster128
New Member
Posts: 0
DeWalt all the way. I've been using their 20V system for years and never had a problem. The string trimmer is a beast, eats through weeds like nothing. Plus, their customer service is top-notch. Makita is for people who like to overpay for teal plastic. Just my 2 cents.
9/16/2026 2:34:00 PM
#3
GearHeadGary261
New Member
Posts: 0
I actually own both (yeah, I have a problem). The DeWalt has more power and a wider cutting swath, but it's heavier. The Makita is lighter and more ergonomic, especially if you're doing a lot of trimming. If you already have batteries for both, consider the weight and balance. Also, check the line advancement system—DeWalt's bump feed can be finicky. Makita's is smoother. But for thick weeds, DeWalt wins.
9/16/2026 7:03:00 PM
#4
WoodWorkerWill105
New Member
Posts: 0
I'm still an apprentice but I've used my boss's DeWalt trimmer and it worked great. No complaints. But I've heard Makita batteries last longer? Not sure if that's true. Following this thread because I need one too.
9/16/2026 7:28:00 PM
#5
DrillMaster128
New Member
Posts: 0
Makita batteries might last a bit longer, but DeWalt has better torque. And who cares about battery life when you can swap in a fresh one in seconds? I've got 6 batteries, never run out. Also, DeWalt's warranty is 3 years vs Makita's 3 years, so no difference there.
(You must be logged in to reply)