DeWalt vs Makita 20V trimmer? Which one won't leave me cussing?
9/15/2026 11:08:00 AM
#1
DeWaltDan369
New Member
Posts: 0
Alright guys, need some real talk. My old corded Black+Decker trimmer finally died (RIP, you loud beast). I'm finally going to join the 20V club. I've got a bunch of DeWalt 20V Max batteries already from my drills and circ saw, so part of me says just get the DeWalt DCST920P1 string trimmer and be done with it.
But I keep hearing guys at the woodshop swear by the Makita 18V X2 (36V) trimmer. I don't have any Makita batteries yet, so that's a whole new ecosystem. This is for my half-acre yard, mostly grass, some light weeds along the fence. Not trying to clear a jungle.
Is the Makita really that much better? Or should I stick with the yellow team since I'm already invested? Help me not waste $200+ on something I'll hate.
But I keep hearing guys at the woodshop swear by the Makita 18V X2 (36V) trimmer. I don't have any Makita batteries yet, so that's a whole new ecosystem. This is for my half-acre yard, mostly grass, some light weeds along the fence. Not trying to clear a jungle.
Is the Makita really that much better? Or should I stick with the yellow team since I'm already invested? Help me not waste $200+ on something I'll hate.
9/15/2026 11:52:00 AM
#2
SawDustSteve502
New Member
Posts: 0
If you already have DeWalt batteries, get the DeWalt. Period. The 20V trimmer isn't a pro landscaping tool, but for a half acre it's totally fine. I've restored a bunch of old tools and the biggest killer is buying into a new battery system for one tool. That's how you end up with 3 chargers and a shelf full of orphaned batteries.
That said, the Makita X2 is a different animal. It's got more torque because it runs two 18V packs in series. If your 'light weeds' are actually thick thistle or blackberry, you'll want that. But if it's just grass and dandelions, don't overthink it. Get the DeWalt, use your existing packs, and spend the saved money on a decent spool of line.
That said, the Makita X2 is a different animal. It's got more torque because it runs two 18V packs in series. If your 'light weeds' are actually thick thistle or blackberry, you'll want that. But if it's just grass and dandelions, don't overthink it. Get the DeWalt, use your existing packs, and spend the saved money on a decent spool of line.
9/15/2026 11:52:00 AM
#3
CraftsmanChris903
New Member
Posts: 0
I'm gonna be that guy. Neither. If you care about a clean cut and not having to babysit the bump feed every 30 seconds... get a trimmer with a proper bump head or even a fixed-line head. The DeWalt head is fine but the Makita has a slightly better reputation for line feed. But honestly, the real issue is balance.
DeWalt trimmer is nose-heavy with a big battery. Makita X2 is heavier overall but better balanced. For precision edging, I'd lean Makita. For just whacking grass, DeWalt. What kind of edging do you do? If you're doing crisp lines along the driveway, you might want the Makita. If you're just buzzing around trees, DeWalt. Also, check the arbor size if you ever want to swap to a brush cutter blade. Makita uses a standard 10mm arbor, DeWalt is a bit odd on some models.
DeWalt trimmer is nose-heavy with a big battery. Makita X2 is heavier overall but better balanced. For precision edging, I'd lean Makita. For just whacking grass, DeWalt. What kind of edging do you do? If you're doing crisp lines along the driveway, you might want the Makita. If you're just buzzing around trees, DeWalt. Also, check the arbor size if you ever want to swap to a brush cutter blade. Makita uses a standard 10mm arbor, DeWalt is a bit odd on some models.
9/15/2026 2:29:00 PM
#4
SocketSarah394
New Member
Posts: 0
Before you buy either, promise me you'll use eye protection and closed-toe shoes. I've seen too many guys in flip-flops catching rocks. And check the safety switch ergonomics. The DeWalt has a weird two-stage trigger that some people hate. The Makita has a more traditional grip.
Also, battery safety: don't leave them in the trimmer in the sun. Both brands have had thermal issues if you leave a hot pack in a black tool. If you go DeWalt, get the kit with the 5Ah batteries, not the 2Ah. You'll get way more runtime. And if you go Makita X2, remember it's two batteries, so you need four packs to keep working nonstop unless you want to wait for charging. That's a hidden cost. My vote: stick with DeWalt, buy a spare 5Ah, and a face shield.
Also, battery safety: don't leave them in the trimmer in the sun. Both brands have had thermal issues if you leave a hot pack in a black tool. If you go DeWalt, get the kit with the 5Ah batteries, not the 2Ah. You'll get way more runtime. And if you go Makita X2, remember it's two batteries, so you need four packs to keep working nonstop unless you want to wait for charging. That's a hidden cost. My vote: stick with DeWalt, buy a spare 5Ah, and a face shield.
9/15/2026 3:48:00 PM
#5
DeWaltDan369
New Member
Posts: 0
Thanks for the replies, guys. Sounds like the consensus is to stay in the yellow ecosystem. I do have two 5Ah and two 2Ah already. I'll probably grab the DeWalt kit with a 5Ah and then maybe a second one later.
Chris, you asked about edging. I do edge along the driveway and sidewalk, so the balance point matters. I'll go to the box store and hold both. But the battery investment is the kicker. Appreciate the safety reminder, Sarah. I'll definitely rock the safety glasses. And Steve, good point about the orphan batteries. I already have too many chargers. DeWalt it is. I'll report back after I run a few tanks through it.
Chris, you asked about edging. I do edge along the driveway and sidewalk, so the balance point matters. I'll go to the box store and hold both. But the battery investment is the kicker. Appreciate the safety reminder, Sarah. I'll definitely rock the safety glasses. And Steve, good point about the orphan batteries. I already have too many chargers. DeWalt it is. I'll report back after I run a few tanks through it.
(You must be logged in to reply)