Just scored a Ryobi 40V mower for $199 at HD - is this thing gonna last?
9/17/2026 12:36:00 PM
#1
PlumberPaul62
New Member
Posts: 0
So I was walkin thru the Home Depot garden section killin time while the wife was lookin at plants, and I see this Ryobi 40V self-propelled mower on clearance for $199. Normally like $399 or somethin. I grabbed it quick cuz my old gas mower is on its last legs. But now I'm second guessin - is Ryobi gonna hold up? I know they ain't a pro brand but for a half acre lot should I be worried? Any of you boys run one of these? Just lookin for some real world feedback before I open the box.
9/17/2026 1:16:00 PM
#2
DeWaltDan966
New Member
Posts: 0
Bro take it back. I know it's cheap but you get what you pay for. Ryobi is homeowner grade at best. I've been runnin DeWalt 20V stuff for years and yeah the mower ain't cheap but my dad's had his for 4 seasons now with zero issues. The batteries alone are worth it. If you're gonna keep it at least buy the extended warranty cuz those Ryobi batteries are known to crap out after a year or two. Just my 2 cents.
9/17/2026 3:46:00 PM
#3
SparkySam77
New Member
Posts: 0
I've actually got the 40V Ryobi and it's been solid for me. Not gonna lie, I bought it for my small yard (about 1/4 acre) and it handles it fine on one charge. The self propel is a little jerky but you get used to it. For $199?? That's a steal. I'd keep it. Just don't expect it to mulch heavy wet grass like a gas Honda. And yeah the batteries... I'm on year 3 with the original and still goin. YMMV I guess.
9/17/2026 4:21:00 PM
#4
PlumberPaul62
New Member
Posts: 0
Appreciate the feedback fellas. Dan I hear ya on the DeWalt but I already got a bunch of Ryobi 18V tools for the house so I'm kinda locked in. Sam that's good to hear. I think I'll keep it and just run it till it dies. For 200 bucks if I get 3-4 years out of it I'm happy. Plus no more oil changes and spark plugs. My back thanks me already lol.
9/17/2026 8:40:00 PM
#5
DeWaltDan966
New Member
Posts: 0
Yeah fair enough Paul. If you're already in the Ryobi ecosystem it makes sense. Just keep the blade sharp and don't let the battery sit dead over winter. My neighbor killed his that way. Good luck with it man, let us know how it cuts.
(You must be logged in to reply)