Forum > Measuring Tools

Scored a 12" Starrett combo square for $30 at an estate sale – too good to be true?

9/13/2026 10:48:00 AM #1
CraftsmanChris235
CraftsmanChris235
New Member
Posts: 0
So I was hitting up some estate sales this weekend and stumbled on a box of old tools. Digging through, I found a 12" Starrett combination square, looks like the 11H-12-4R model. The blade has some minor rust but the head is solid, bubble level intact. Guy sold it to me for $30 cash. I know these go for like $150+ new. Did I just get the deal of the century or is there something I'm missing? Pics coming soon. Also, any tips on cleaning it up without ruining the finish? I don't wanna be that guy who destroys a classic.
9/13/2026 11:24:00 AM #2
BuildItBob707
BuildItBob707
New Member
Posts: 0
Chris, that's a helluva score. I've been using Starrett squares for 40+ years and they're the gold standard. $30 is a steal even with some rust. For cleaning, use fine bronze wool and some WD-40, go easy on the blade. Don't use sandpaper or you'll round the edges. Check the 45 and 90 degree angles with a known good square before you trust it. If it's off, you can adjust the head but it's fiddly. Otherwise, use it and enjoy. Nice find!
9/13/2026 12:34:00 PM #3
LevelLarry89
LevelLarry89
New Member
Posts: 0
Nice pickup! I've seen those estate sale finds go either way. Make sure the blade isn't bent – lay it on a flat surface or a known straight edge. Also, the bubble level in the head is often dried out or cracked. If it's shot, you can replace the vial but it's a pain. For $30, even if you gotta put a little work in, you're way ahead. I'd flip it if it's in good shape, but if you're a user, keep it. What else was in the box?
9/13/2026 3:24:00 PM #4
DIYDave142
DIYDave142
New Member
Posts: 0
Back in my day, we didn't have fancy Starrett squares. We had a beat-up Stanley and we liked it! But seriously, that's a great deal. I remember buying my first combo square at a flea market for $5 – it was a no-name brand but it served me well for years. Just check that the locking mechanism works smoothly. If it sticks, a little graphite powder will fix it. And yeah, don't overclean it. Patina adds character. Post those pics when you can.
9/13/2026 4:28:00 PM #5
CraftsmanChris235
CraftsmanChris235
New Member
Posts: 0
Thanks for the tips, guys. I'll try the bronze wool and WD-40. The locking screw seems fine, moves smooth. I'll check the angles tonight with my machinist square. And Bob, I'll be careful not to round anything. Larry, I'll look at the level vial – it looks okay but I'll test it. Dave, I hear ya on the patina. I'll keep it as is mostly. Here's a quick pic: [imgur link]. Let me know what you think.

(You must be logged in to reply)