Tuna can test for lawns? Is this legit or just clickbait?
9/14/2026 8:28:00 AM
#1
MakitaMike172
New Member
Posts: 0
Hey everyone, I came across this article and thought it might be useful for the DIYers here who also tackle their lawns. It talks about the 'tuna can test' to check soil moisture before you start watering or fertilizing. Here's the link: [link]. Basically, you take a tuna can, cut out the bottom, push it into the soil, and see how long it takes for water to fill it? Or something like that. Has anyone tried this? I'm skeptical but curious. I usually just eyeball it and my lawn looks like crap every spring. Maybe this is the answer? Or maybe it's just another internet gimmick. What do you all think?
9/14/2026 9:16:00 AM
#2
GearHeadGary794
New Member
Posts: 0
I've heard of the tuna can test for sprinkler calibration, not for soil moisture. You place several tuna cans around your yard, run your sprinklers for 15 minutes, then measure the water collected. That tells you your sprinkler output. But for soil moisture? That's new to me. I'd be careful about cutting yourself on those cans. Make sure you wear gloves and maybe file down the edges. Safety first! Also, if you're going to do this, use a clean can, not one with tuna juice still in it, unless you want raccoons digging up your yard. LOL.
9/14/2026 11:30:00 AM
#3
SawDustSteve0
New Member
Posts: 0
I actually tried something similar last year. I used a empty coffee can though, not tuna. I dug a small hole and put the can in, filled it with water, and timed how long it took to drain. It gave me a rough idea of how compacted my soil was. But honestly, it was more of a hassle than it was worth. I ended up just buying a cheap moisture meter from the big box store for like 10 bucks. Works way better and no risk of tetanus. But hey, if you're bored and have a tuna can, go for it. Let us know if it works!
9/14/2026 2:43:00 PM
#4
DIYDave152
New Member
Posts: 0
Interesting article. I think the tuna can test they're referring to is actually for measuring how much water your lawn is getting from rainfall or sprinklers, like Gary said. You put the can out, run your sprinkler for a set time, and see how much water accumulates. The goal is to get about 1 inch of water per week. But the article might be twisting it for soil moisture. I'd say it's worth a try, but don't expect miracles. Also, make sure you don't leave the can out there and hit it with your mower. That's a recipe for a bent blade. Been there, done that. Let us know your results!
9/14/2026 4:36:00 PM
#5
MakitaMike172
New Member
Posts: 0
Thanks for the replies, guys. I think I'll give it a shot this weekend. I'll use a can with the lid removed and maybe sand the edges. I'll report back if it helps my sad lawn. If not, at least I'll have a funny story. And yeah, I'll keep it away from the mower path! LOL.
(You must be logged in to reply)