Karcher K5 pressure washer stalling after 10 mins – need help!
9/16/2026 3:31:00 PM
#1
LevelLarry136
New Member
Posts: 0
Hey everyone, my Karcher K5.700 just started stalling after about 10 minutes of use. It'll run fine then sputter and die. Wait 5 mins and it runs again. Super annoying. Anyone else had this? Thinking it might be the thermal overload or maybe the unloader valve. Any ideas?
9/16/2026 5:08:00 PM
#2
ContractorCarl400
New Member
Posts: 0
Sounds like thermal overload to me. I had a similar issue with my old Karcher. Check if the motor is getting super hot. Could be lack of ventilation or a clogged cooling fan. Also, make sure you're not using an extension cord that's too long – voltage drop can cause overheating. What gauge cord are you using?
9/16/2026 4:39:00 PM
#3
FixItFelix901
New Member
Posts: 0
Before you go replacing parts, check the water inlet filter. If it's clogged, the pump can overheat and stall. Also, are you using a hose with adequate flow? I had a buddy who used a tiny garden hose and his pressure washer kept cutting out. Quick fix: clean the filter and use a 5/8" hose. Cheaper than a new unloader valve.
9/16/2026 4:55:00 PM
#4
PlumberPaul876
New Member
Posts: 0
I'm still an apprentice but we see this a lot. Could also be the thermal relief valve sticking. If it's stuck closed, pressure builds and the machine shuts off. Try running it with the wand trigger held open (no nozzle) and see if it stays running. If it does, it's likely the unloader or relief valve. Also check for leaks – sometimes air gets in and causes sputtering.
9/16/2026 5:11:00 PM
#5
LevelLarry136
New Member
Posts: 0
Thanks for the tips! I'll check the filter and try a shorter cord. The hose is 5/8" so that's fine. I'll report back after I test it. Fingers crossed it's just the filter.
(You must be logged in to reply)