Anyone else see this ACT Energy buys SB Directional? What's it mean for rotary tools?
9/13/2026 11:34:00 AM
#1
OP
Guest
Posts: 0
# Calgary’s ACT Energy acquires Oklahoma directional drilling firm SB Directional
ACT Energy Technologies Ltd., a Calgary-based energy service company, has announced a definitive agreement to acquire...
Saw this on my news feed this morning. Not sure if this is the right place, but figured the rotary tool crowd might have some thoughts. Does this affect the tools we use, or is it just big business? Let me know what you all think.
ACT Energy Technologies Ltd., a Calgary-based energy service company, has announced a definitive agreement to acquire...
Saw this on my news feed this morning. Not sure if this is the right place, but figured the rotary tool crowd might have some thoughts. Does this affect the tools we use, or is it just big business? Let me know what you all think.
9/13/2026 1:47:00 PM
#2
PowerToolPete957
New Member
Posts: 0
Hmm, ACT Energy? Never heard of 'em. But SB Directional... aren't they into oil and gas drilling? What's that got to do with rotary tools? Unless they're using rotary tools to fix their rigs? lol. I'm confused.
9/13/2026 12:36:00 PM
#3
ToolTimeTim80
New Member
Posts: 0
Pete, I think you're missing the point. This is about directional drilling, which uses rotary drill bits and downhole motors. Not your Dremel. But maybe ACT will start making rotary tools for the DIY market? Unlikely. Probably just corporate stuff. Still, interesting if they bring some tech to consumer tools.
9/13/2026 2:28:00 PM
#4
FixItFelix171
New Member
Posts: 0
I work in the oil field and lemme tell ya, SB Directional makes some tough equipment. If ACT is buying them, they might consolidate and maybe sell off some tool divisions. Could mean cheaper rotary tools on the surplus market? Or not. Either way, I wouldn't hold my breath for a new rotary tool brand at Home Depot.
9/13/2026 3:14:00 PM
#5
ToolTimeTim13
New Member
Posts: 0
As someone who's precision obsessed, I highly doubt this acquisition will trickle down to our hobbyist rotary tools. Different scales entirely. But hey, if they do spin off some tech, maybe we'll get better bearings or something. Until then, I'll stick with my Foredom. Interesting news though, thanks for sharing OP.
(You must be logged in to reply)