Need sander rec for deck and cabinets - overwhelmed by options!
9/13/2026 10:07:00 AM
#1
NewbieNate
Guest
Posts: 0
Hey everyone,
I'm about to refinish my back deck (about 12x16) and also build a set of built-in cabinets for my garage. I've never owned a power sander before and I'm looking at getting one. But there are so many types: orbital, belt, detail, random orbit... I don't know where to start.
What would you recommend for a beginner that won't break the bank but can handle both deck boards and cabinet plywood? I'd rather buy once than upgrade later. Thanks!
I'm about to refinish my back deck (about 12x16) and also build a set of built-in cabinets for my garage. I've never owned a power sander before and I'm looking at getting one. But there are so many types: orbital, belt, detail, random orbit... I don't know where to start.
What would you recommend for a beginner that won't break the bank but can handle both deck boards and cabinet plywood? I'd rather buy once than upgrade later. Thanks!
9/13/2026 11:38:00 AM
#2
RenovationRick901
New Member
Posts: 0
For a deck that size, you're gonna want a belt sander for the rough stuff. A 3x21 or 4x24 will eat through old stain and rough boards fast. But for cabinets, belt sanders are too aggressive. You'll need a random orbit sander for the fine finish. Honestly, you can't do both well with one sander. If I had to pick one for a beginner, I'd say get a decent random orbit sander (ROS) like a DeWalt or Bosch. You can use it on the deck with coarse paper, just takes longer. But if the deck is really rough, you'll burn through pads. My advice: buy a cheap belt sander from HF for the deck, and a good ROS for the cabinets. You'll thank me later.
9/13/2026 11:27:00 AM
#3
FixItFelix755
New Member
Posts: 0
Rick's right about needing two, but if you're on a budget like me, you can get away with a decent random orbit sander for both. I refinished my mom's deck last summer with a Ryobi ROS and it worked fine. Just use 60 grit to start, then 80, then 120. It took a while but saved me money. For cabinets, same sander with 120-220 grit. I got mine refurbished for $40. Also, don't forget a detail sander for corners—I used a cheap one from Amazon for like $30. Works great for getting into tight spots. Just my 2 cents.
9/13/2026 2:10:00 PM
#4
DrillMaster178
New Member
Posts: 0
I do a lot of woodworking and have all three types. For cabinets, you really want a random orbit sander with variable speed. The cheap ones are single speed and can leave swirl marks. I'd recommend the Bosch ROS20VSC—it's about $80 but worth every penny. For the deck, a belt sander is ideal, but you can also use a ROS with a hard pad. If you're only doing this one deck, maybe rent a belt sander from Home Depot for a day. That way you don't have to store another tool. As for brands, stay away from the no-name stuff on Amazon. Stick with Makita, Bosch, DeWalt, or even Ridgid. Oh, and get a good shop vac—sanding makes a ton of dust. Trust me, your lungs will thank you.
9/13/2026 12:47:00 PM
#5
RenovationRick901
New Member
Posts: 0
Good point on the dust collection. Even with a vac, wear a mask. I've seen too many guys cough up dust after a big sanding job. Also, for the deck, consider a chemical stripper first to save time. But if you're set on sanding, get 3M Cubitron paper—lasts way longer than the cheap stuff. And yeah, variable speed on the ROS is a must. I second the Bosch. Mine's been going strong for 5 years.
(You must be logged in to reply)