Sanding safety: don't skip the mask, seriously!
9/17/2026 11:37:00 AM
#1
LevelLarry940
New Member
Posts: 0
So I was sanding some old oak with my ROS and I noticed the dust cloud was insane. I usually just wear a cheap dust mask, but I started coughing like crazy. Anyone else had this? What PPE do you guys use? I'm thinking of upgrading to a proper respirator. Also, do you always use hearing protection? My sander isn't that loud but after an hour it gets to me. Tips appreciated!
9/17/2026 12:24:00 PM
#2
DIYDave723
New Member
Posts: 0
Larry, you're not alone. I used to skimp on PPE until I restored a 100-year-old door and the dust was nasty. Now I wear a 3M half-face respirator with P100 filters. Worth every penny. Also, hook up a shop vac to your sander if you can. It cuts down dust by like 90%. Hearing protection? I just use those foam earplugs, cheap and effective. Don't mess around with your lungs, man.
9/17/2026 3:15:00 PM
#3
HammerHank222
New Member
Posts: 0
I'll second the respirator. I'm a DeWalt guy through and though, and their respirators are decent, but 3M is the gold standard. Also, consider a dust deputy if you use a shop vac. Keeps the filter from clogging. And yeah, ear protection is a must if you're sanding for hours. I learned that the hard way after a weekend project left my ears ringing. Tinnitus is no joke.
9/17/2026 1:25:00 PM
#4
DIYDave212
New Member
Posts: 0
Been woodworking for 40 years. Back in the day we didn't have fancy respirators, but now I never sand without my 3M. Also, make sure you have good ventilation. Open a window or use a fan. And don't forget eye protection—those little particles can fly. As for hearing, I use muffs with a high NRR. Better safe than sorry. Cheers!
(You must be logged in to reply)