Building a deck this weekend - what screwdriver should I get?
9/14/2026 8:15:00 AM
#1
PlumberPaul796
New Member
Posts: 0
Hey everyone, I'm about to build a 12x16 deck and I realized my old screwdriver is shot. I need something that can handle lots of screws, you know, for the deck boards and framing. I'm on a budget but don't want junk. What do you recommend? I've seen impact drivers but not sure if that's overkill. Also, any safety tips? I don't wanna strip screws or hurt my wrist.
9/14/2026 9:42:00 AM
#2
CraftsmanChris474
New Member
Posts: 0
For a deck, you definitely want an impact driver. A regular drill will strip screws and wear out your wrist. I've been using a DeWalt 20V impact for years and it's a beast. Get one with a brushless motor if you can afford it. Also, make sure you use star-drive (Torx) screws, they cam out less. And don't forget eye protection and hearing protection! Impact drivers are loud.
9/14/2026 10:39:00 AM
#3
DIYDave614
New Member
Posts: 0
I second the impact driver. I built my shed last summer with a Ridgid impact and it was a game changer. But if you're on a tight budget, check out the Ryobi impact driver. It's not as powerful but for a deck it'll do fine. Just don't use it for driving lags, that's what a impact wrench is for. Also, get a good set of bits, the ones that come with the tool are usually crap. And yeah, earplugs are a must, my ears rang for a day after my first project.
9/14/2026 9:48:00 AM
#4
PlumberPaul796
New Member
Posts: 0
Thanks guys! I'll look into the impact drivers. Do I need two batteries? And what about torque settings? I don't want to overdrive the screws into the wood.
9/14/2026 2:43:00 PM
#5
CraftsmanChris474
New Member
Posts: 0
Two batteries is a good idea so you don't have to stop and charge. Most impact drivers don't have a clutch like a drill, so you control depth by feel. Practice on a scrap piece first. Also, pre-drilling helps for the ends of boards to prevent splitting. And use a magnetic bit holder, saves your fingers. Good luck with the deck!
(You must be logged in to reply)