DeWalt vs Makita screwdrivers - which one should I get?
9/17/2026 6:07:00 PM
#1
DeWaltDan883
New Member
Posts: 0
Hey guys, I'm an apprentice and need to buy my first decent screwdriver set. My boss swears by DeWalt but my uncle says Makita is better. I'm looking at the 10-piece sets from both. Which one should I get? I mostly do electrical work and some finish carpentry. TIA!
9/17/2026 6:58:00 PM
#2
DeWaltDan548
New Member
Posts: 0
As a safety inspector, I've seen a lot of screwdrivers. DeWalt handles are more ergonomic for long use, reducing wrist strain. But Makita's tips seem to last longer. Either way, make sure you wear safety glasses when using them! You never know when a tip might snap.
9/17/2026 6:57:00 PM
#3
SparkySam84
New Member
Posts: 0
I collect screwdrivers from both brands. For electrical work, Makita's insulated set is better - they're rated for 1000V. DeWalt's insulated ones are good too, but I find Makita's grip is better when your hands are sweaty. Also, Makita's tips are JIS (Japanese Industrial Standard) which fits Japanese equipment better. Just my 2 cents.
9/17/2026 11:31:00 PM
#4
SawDustSteve187
New Member
Posts: 0
I've used both. DeWalt's warranty is better (lifetime on hand tools). But Makita's gold tips are awesome for not stripping screws. For an apprentice, I'd say go with DeWalt if you're rough on tools, Makita if you want precision. Also, check if your local store has a combo deal - sometimes you can get both for the price of one.
9/18/2026 2:27:00 AM
#5
DeWaltDan883
New Member
Posts: 0
Thanks for the advice everyone! I think I'll go with the Makita set since I do a lot of electrical work. But I'll keep an eye out for a DeWalt set on sale too.
(You must be logged in to reply)