Forum > Specialty Tools

Battery not charging on my new impact driver - HELP!

9/17/2026 4:21:00 PM #1
MeterMatt78
MeterMatt78
Member
Posts: 0
Hey everyone, I just got a new 20V impact driver (brand rhymes with 'Fewalt') and the battery won't charge. When I put it on the charger, the light just blinks red. I tried wiggling it, but no luck. Any ideas? I'm in the middle of a cabinet build and this is killing me!
9/17/2026 5:36:00 PM #2
SocketSarah304
SocketSarah304
New Member
Posts: 0
First off, check the contacts on both the battery and charger. Sometimes there's a tiny piece of plastic flashing or debris from manufacturing that prevents a good connection. Use a pencil eraser to clean them gently. Also, make sure the charger is plugged into a working outlet - I know it sounds dumb, but I've done it. What's the exact model number? Some of those 'Fewalt' chargers have a diagnostic blink code.
9/17/2026 7:31:00 PM #3
HammerHank962
HammerHank962
New Member
Posts: 0
I've seen this with new batteries that have been sitting on a shelf for ages. The cells might be so depleted that the charger won't recognize them. Try leaving it on the charger for a few hours even if it's blinking. Sometimes it trickle charges back to life. If that fails, return it - don't void the warranty by opening it up. I learned that the hard way with a drill once.
9/17/2026 7:30:00 PM #4
SocketSarah272
SocketSarah272
New Member
Posts: 0
Also, check the charger's manual for the blink pattern. On my 'Fewalt' charger, a rapid red blink means 'bad battery,' but a slow blink means 'too hot/cold.' If it's cold in your shop, warm the battery up to room temp first. And yeah, definitely check the contacts. I've had batteries that needed a little scrape with a flathead screwdriver to remove corrosion (even on new ones). Let us know what happens!
9/17/2026 10:01:00 PM #5
MeterMatt78
MeterMatt78
Member
Posts: 0
Thanks for the tips! I checked the contacts and they look clean. The charger is plugged in and the outlet works (tested with my phone charger). The blink is fast, like 4 times per second. Manual says that's 'battery error.' I guess it's a dud. I'll return it tomorrow. Sucks, but at least it's under warranty. Appreciate the help!

(You must be logged in to reply)