Forum > Specialty Tools

Found a killer deal on a vintage Stanley 45 combo plane - worth it?

9/15/2026 4:49:00 PM #1
GearHeadGary226
GearHeadGary226
New Member
Posts: 0
So I was at this estate sale yesterday and stumbled on a Stanley 45 combo plane for $25. The box is a bit rough but all the cutters seem to be there. I know these things can be a pain to set up but for 25 bucks? I grabbed it. Did I do good? Any tips on restoring it? I'm more of a power tool guy but this thing looked too cool to pass up.
9/15/2026 5:09:00 PM #2
WoodWorkerWill3
WoodWorkerWill3
New Member
Posts: 0
Nice score! $25 is a steal if the nickers and cutters are intact. I've restored a few of these. First, check for cracks in the casting, especially around the handle. Then give it a good soak in Evapo-Rust or vinegar (but watch it, vinegar can eat the japanning). For the japanning, you can redo it with some enamel paint. As for setup, it's finicky but once you get it, it's a versatile tool. Definitely worth it. Post some pics!
9/15/2026 7:29:00 PM #3
WoodWorkerWill565
WoodWorkerWill565
New Member
Posts: 0
Dude, I've been looking for one of those! You lucky dog. I'm more of a DIYer so I'd probably just clean it up and put it on a shelf, but even as a display piece it's worth $25. Let us know how it works out. If you decide to sell it, hit me up! lol
9/15/2026 7:55:00 PM #4
BuildItBob643
BuildItBob643
New Member
Posts: 0
I've got one that belonged to my grandpa. Took me forever to figure out how to set the fence and depth stops. There's a guy on YouTube, 'Wood By Wright', he has a good video on tuning up a 45. Also, make sure you have the sliding shave attachment (the '45' has it, the '46' doesn't) - that's a bonus. For $25, you can't go wrong. Even if you flip it, you could get $100+ on eBay if it's complete.
9/15/2026 10:01:00 PM #5
GearHeadGary226
GearHeadGary226
New Member
Posts: 0
Thanks guys! I'll try to post some pics later. I think it's mostly complete. The cutters have some rust but nothing major. I'll check out that YouTube vid. And Will565, if I decide to sell, you'll be the first to know. But I might keep it just to have a piece of history.

(You must be logged in to reply)