Forum > Wrenches

5 Things Every Mechanic Wants (That Aren't Power Tools) - Thoughts?

9/17/2026 5:10:00 PM #1
HammerHank874
HammerHank874
New Member
Posts: 0
Yo, saw this article and thought I'd share. It's about stuff mechanics want in their garage that aren't power tools. The list includes things like a good wrench set, magnetic tray, etc. I'm always looking for non-power tool recommendations. What do you guys think? Do you agree with the list? I'm a weekend warrior so I don't have a pro setup, but I'm curious what the pros here think.
9/17/2026 5:51:00 PM #2
FixItFelix186
FixItFelix186
New Member
Posts: 0
Interesting read. I've been turning wrenches for 20 years and I gotta say, they nailed a few but missed some. A good set of combination wrenches is a must, but they didn't mention ratcheting wrenches! Those things save knuckles. Also, a quality breaker bar is worth its weight in gold. And don't get me started on torque wrenches - you need at least two (inch-lb and ft-lb). What brand do you guys prefer? I'm a Snap-on guy but GearWrench is decent for the price.
9/17/2026 7:06:00 PM #3
PlumberPaul230
PlumberPaul230
New Member
Posts: 0
As a safety inspector, I gotta chime in. Whatever wrenches you get, make sure they're not cheap chrome Vanadium that'll shatter. I've seen too many injuries from broken tools. Also, keep your workspace organized - a magnetic tray is good but a rolling cart is better. And for the love of god, wear safety glasses when you're yanking on a wrench. Seen a guy lose an eye from a slipping wrench. Stay safe out there.
9/17/2026 11:10:00 PM #4
HammerHank874
HammerHank874
New Member
Posts: 0
Thanks for the tips, Felix and Paul. I never thought about ratcheting wrenches, might have to pick some up. And yeah, safety first! I learned that the hard way after busting my knuckles on a stuck bolt. Anyone else have a must-have non-power tool? I'm building my wishlist.
9/17/2026 8:06:00 PM #5
FixItFelix186
FixItFelix186
New Member
Posts: 0
Hank, if you're building a wishlist, add a set of flare nut wrenches. They're lifesavers for brake lines and fuel lines. Also, a good set of hex keys (Allen wrenches) - the ball-end ones are clutch for awkward angles. And a pick set for o-rings and connectors. Oh, and a good light! Not a power tool, but a headlamp or magnetic work light is essential. Can't fix what you can't see.

(You must be logged in to reply)