Forum > Wrenches

Torque wrench acting up - weird clicking noise and won't hold setting?

9/13/2026 5:10:00 PM #1
WoodWorkerWill889
WoodWorkerWill889
New Member
Posts: 0
Hey guys, not sure if this is the right place but I figured you wrench experts might know. I've got a clicker-type torque wrench (3/8" drive, brand rhymes with 'Grafter') that I've had for maybe 2 years. Lately when I set it to like 80 ft-lbs and pull, it makes this odd crunching/clicking noise and sometimes the head just spins without clicking at the set torque. It's driving me nuts because I'm trying to torque my lawnmower blade bolts and I don't want to strip them. Any ideas? Should I just bin it and get a new one? TIA!
9/13/2026 6:03:00 PM #2
SocketSarah630
SocketSarah630
New Member
Posts: 0
First off, NEVER use a torque wrench to loosen bolts. That'll kill the mechanism faster than anything. But since you're tightening, the crunching noise is a red flag. Could be the internal spring or pawl is worn. Did you ever drop it or leave it set to a high torque when stored? That's a common killer. Also, cheap torque wrenches lose calibration after a while. If it's a 'Grafter' (lol), it might just be done. But before you bin it, try exercising it: set to lowest setting, click it a few times, then gradually increase. Sometimes they stick if not used regularly. If that doesn't work, it's probably toast. Get a CDI or Precision Instruments if you want it to last.
9/13/2026 8:24:00 PM #3
ContractorCarl755
ContractorCarl755
New Member
Posts: 0
Sarah's spot on about storage. I've got a 20-year-old Snap-on that still clicks like new because I always back it off to zero after use. But I've also got a pile of dead ones from guys who didn't. That crunching sound? Could be a broken spring or a chewed-up ratchet gear. If it's under warranty, send it in. If not, it's a paperweight. For lawnmower blades, you don't need super precision anyway—just snug 'em up with a breaker bar and call it a day. But if you're doing engine work, don't cheap out. Buy once, cry once.
9/13/2026 6:16:00 PM #4
PlumberPaul796
PlumberPaul796
New Member
Posts: 0
Before you toss it, check the obvious: is the drive square damaged? Sometimes a worn socket or extension can cause weird noises. Also, are you sure it's not the bolt head rounding off? That can feel like the wrench is slipping. Safety note: if that wrench fails while you're torquing something critical, you could hurt yourself. If it's making crunching noises, stop using it immediately. Don't risk it. And for the love of god, wear safety glasses when you're pulling hard on a torque wrench. I've seen a guy break a knuckle when one let go.
9/13/2026 8:58:00 PM #5
WoodWorkerWill889
WoodWorkerWill889
New Member
Posts: 0
Thanks for the quick replies! I did leave it set to 80 ft-lbs for like a year (oops). I'll try the exercise thing but it sounds like it's probably kaput. I'll check the drive square too—didn't think of that. And yeah, I'll definitely wear glasses. Might just grab a cheap one for the mower and save up for a good one later. Appreciate the help!

(You must be logged in to reply)